Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Maltese Falcon


This is our second film noir film (both from Pablo) and I am really getting into this genre. It has been parodied so much that the actual original films from the genre seem like fakes. This one, however, packs a punch.

Bogart has proven himself to be one of my favorite actors. Pablo made the comment while watching the movie that he didn't think the romance between Spade and O'Shaugnessy was necessary or even made sense, and I found myself agreeing with him. Sam Spade is such a character by himself--witty, incredibly intelligent, strong-willed and seemingly distant from female characters, it seemed like he wouldn't actually know what to do with a woman that wasn't his secretary or his mistress on the side.

Having said that, the film is exactly what you want out of a noir film. Spade has some classic moves (like de-gunning the guy in the hallway) and Peter Lorre is just as awesome as usual. I loved that no character was perfect, but you could see where everyone was coming from. Although, you were always rooting for Spade. How could you not?

One thing that I will recommend to anyone pursuing the career of a private investigator: never, ever trust the woman who comes to your aid the first time she asks for your help. She is most likely lying.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying this list and your comments. Last week I saw "Night and the City" for the first time. I highly recommend it. Beautiful B&W, with great exteriors of 1950's London. A desperate loser turn for Richard Widmark - I never realized he had so many of these nefarious roles (see "Kiss of Death" and remember Tommy Udo). All brilliant!

    ReplyDelete